Translate

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Hwayugi aka The Korean Odyssey


Episode: 20
Synopsis:
This drama is based on the well-known Chinese novel written in the 16th century, The Journey To The West. However, all the spirits, demons, and gods are now living in modern day Korea. It is 2017 and Son Oh Gong and Ma Wang cohabit together and are often butting heads together. However, they work together to find the savior who will help save the world and defeat evil. Seon Mi was a young child when she encountered Son Oh Gong and Ma Wang and she made a contract with Son Oh Gong to have him protect her from evil spirits who constantly followed her. However, Son Oh Gong manages to find a loophole out of the contract and after 25 years later, they meet again and help one another in a world that is beginning to be shrouded with evil. As the two fight against the supernatural world, the two begin to fall in love with one another.

Review:
This drama was fairly enjoyable to me. I love fantasy genres and this was perfect as it was based off of the very old Chinese novel: The Journey to the West. I grew up watching The Journey to the West and fell in love with the beloved characters like Song Wu Kong, Zhu Ba Jie, and the many other demons and deities. It was absolutely fascinating to watch how these characters translated into Korean culture and how this story was portrayed through a modern-day Korean perspective. I loved the casting of all the characters and I enjoyed the drama greatly for the friendships and interesting characters and plots. The subplots, side characters, and friendships throughout the drama reminded me greatly of the drama Goblin. While this did not compare to Goblin in my opinion, it was still captivating, touching, and humorous.
       However, despite enjoying it for all these things and more, I also noted a few things I did not like about it. I did not like the lacking chemistry between the exceptional main leads. I was unsatisfied with the character development of Seon Mi as she started off strong and independent but ended up being dependent and weak. It made her strong character unbelievable in the beginning and it made it harder for me to believe she made it this far in life fighting off demons and ghosts by herself. I also felt that the plot between her and Son Oh Gong was being dragged out over time and the constant question of whether he truly loved her vs didn't love her became boring to watch.
       Overall, this drama was enjoyable for a light-hearted watch. At times, this drama did frustrate me but it still captivated me enough to keep watching.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND GIVE SUGGESTIONS~^^